Saturday, March 10, 2012

Tullio



A sunny Saturday, lots of volunteers, lots of potential adopters but just a few dogs. In fact, although Tullio had just returned from a walk, he was about it; the other walkable dogs were out taking walks. There are of course other dogs at the shelter but several are on "stray hold" so they are not yet eligible for a volunteer walk.

Tullio is a big good looking border collie around two years old. Our son Doug has a border collie so I was expecting a high energy bounce when I opened his back door to put on the collar. Tullio just stood quietly while I collared him but then seemed eager once we started down the hall. Whenever I walk a working breed such as hunting or herding, I use an extra long leash then just let them kind of do their thing. For about the first fifteen minutes he continually weaved back and forth as he walked along, maintaining eye contact with me as a good herd dog should do. It was almost like he was herding an invisible flock of sheep - weird. Despite this he is fine on the leash; very easy to walk.

After I returned him to his kennel and was out in the hall washing my hands, I looked up and saw that a volunteer was taking him out for his third walk of the day and it was barely noon! Tullio is going to sleep well tonight. I hope Tullio finds a home where he can be a working ranch or farm dog. He seems well suited for rugged herding work.

There is a cute video of Tullio at the Humane Society website but I could not get it forwarded to you.


No comments:

Post a Comment