Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Macie and Dot



Amidst all the noise of a busy Tuesday morning one gravelly sounding little bark stood out, it was Macie (left). She and her sister Dot (jacket) are nine year old fox terriers, as different as night and day. I started with Macie; I assumed that since she was so vocal about getting my attention, she would be ready at her back door to meet me. Wrong. As soon as I opened it she backed away, and it took lots of coaxing and a sneaky grab to finally get the collar on her. Once out in the corridor things were not much better. All the barking scared her and she insisted on ducking in every open door or slight opening we passed. It was slow going, but we finally made it outside - and I did not have to carry her. Once outside she seemed happy enough to be walking around but she was most content in the parking lot sniffing tires and greeting people as they got in and out their cars. We did a short walk into the open area near the shelter then stopped at the exercise yard, however it was cold, windy and the parking lot looked awfully good to Macie. As were returning to her kennel, she seemed a little braver but was still okay with getting back to safety of her blanketed bed. I did not know what to expect when I went over to the other section to get Dot.....

Dot thinks she is a German Shepherd. As I opened her back door, she eagerly popped into the collar as if to say "it's about time". She looked especially cute strutting down the corridor in her little gray jacket. Out by the front desk a big dog (being held/leashed by a visitor) lunged at her. She completely ignored it. Once outside we went toward the exercise yard but it was occupied by two Dobermans having a "meet and greet"; they stopped their play and came over toward the fence to check out Dot. She glanced their way then just continued along, this was her walk and she was going to enjoy it. I don't know when I have seen a dog of any size with the chutzpa of Dot. We continued out into the open desert, both Macie and Dot are very good on the leash. On our return the exercise yard was vacant so I thought we would go in for some fetch. Dot's profile indicated she enjoyed this game. Dot had other plans, she just followed me around then when I sat on the bench she wanted to cuddle on my lap. This little dog knows exactly what she wants and her new owner better pay attention. Back at her kennel, Dot did not want her walk to be over, but shopping called.

Macie and Dot are nine but very energetic. Since fox terriers are a long lived breed I think their new owner(s) could look forward to many fun years with either or both of them; they even like cats.

No comments:

Post a Comment