Friday, March 23, 2012

Ethan, Allen, Bonnie and Simone



Not many dogs eligible for a volunteer walk, an adequate number of doggy volunteers plus many more sweet kitties needing some company found me standing in the cat area waiting for my assignment. Two little boys with Bat Man capes (ages 3 and 5) were visiting along with their Mom and working their way down the wall of cats in their kennels. The boys were peeking in at each cat hoping for some response. They hit the jackpot with Allen. He hurled himself tirelessly at the front of his cage, flipped on his back, pressed his face through the cage, in short, did all he could possibly do to connect with these little boys as well as connect with me. On the extrovert scale of 1 to 10, he was a 12. Ethan and Allen are eight month old kitties, best pals and, I think, brothers. They are fairly new shelter arrivals so the volunteer who knows the most about the cat area suggested I spend some time playing with them in a get-acquainted room.

As I entered, they both went flying up the cat post, Ethan stayed on one of the platforms watching me but Allen ran inside the cubbyhole and hid. I will never understand cats. Being kittens, they both quickly decided that chasing a sparkly wand toy around the room was worth the risk so the games began. Within a short time they had lost their shyness, especially Ethan, and were doing well with getting pets and kitty treats. Ethan seems the bolder and is definitely more interested in treats. Allen seems to follow Ethan's lead in discovering new things to try. They are a super sweet pair. Let's hope they find a new family where they can be together.

Bonnie (age 5) and Simone (age 6) were also in a playroom together; they are more mature and were just enjoying a change of scenery. Bonnie has lived with dogs and other cats so my walking into the room and approaching her did not rattle her at all. She was very happy to just have someone talk to her and pet her; she is a beautiful laid-back cat and so photogenic. There is a cute video of her at the Humane Society website. She is such a responsive cat, so very happy for your attention.

Simone is also a sweetie but more timid than Bonnie. I actually approached Simone first but she seemed a little uncomfortable so I started with Bonnie instead. Simone was content just to watch Bonnie getting petted. Just before I had to leave, I approached Simone again and she was now very happy to be petted; I was sorry to be out of time. She had clearly been taking her cues from watching Bonnie react to me.

Now the bad news... Gus began a hunger strike when I got home last night and it continues. CATS!!!!!

Good Dog will resume doggy reporting the next time I go to the shelter.

1 comment:

  1. I wondered if Gus would be upset you had spent time with other cats. I hope he's back to his old self soon.

    ReplyDelete