Friday, March 30, 2012

Kyra


Kyra is a four year Pit Bull who has been at the shelter for a few weeks. Apparently she was quite emaciated when she came in so the shelter staff had to restore her to health before she could participate in normal volunteer interactions. When I looked in and saw her totally joyful expressive face, I knew I just had to get to know her better. She is now big and and strong; getting a collar on this bouncy, happy four year old, who is very puppy-like, was challenging. She came romping out the back of her kennel, thankfully she loves to obey and quickly sat on command while I put on her collar. Kyra's kennel is at the very end of the row furthest from the doors to the main hall. We had barely started up the row when it seemed like every dog we passed barked and lunged at her (from their kennels). She barked and tried to lunge back. This is bad enough behavior for any dog, but in my opinion, completely unacceptable for a Pit Bull. They have enough image problems. I didn't know what I was going to do but I vowed right then that this was not going to happen on our return.

As we went through the doors and down the hall Kyra had a cheerful sniff and wag for everyone she met. We began our walk in the exercise yard. Kyra did a little wandering and sniffing but her joy is being connected to you and performing for treats. She eagerly sits, goes down, and comes to you, with enormous enthusiasm.

Once we began our walk it was great to see that she is not only wonderful on the leash, she also maintains a very close mental connection. Every time you talk to her she looks around at you and wags. We had a great walk, but I was starting to feel a little apprehensive about our return "down the doggy gauntlet".

Back at the shelter just before we entered the dog area, I stopped and, for lack of a better idea, told her that she had to walk quietly to her "house" and watch me and she would get a treat. As we started down doggy row, I just kept telling her what a good dog she was; she kept watching me and walked all the way to her kennel with out making a sound or a move toward the other dogs, despite their aggressive behavior toward her. Once safely in her kennel with a treat, she exploded in wags and wiggles. She is an amazing dog.

No comments:

Post a Comment