Friday, March 30, 2012

Chip


The sign said that Chip was a Miniature Schnauzer who had been surrendered due to his high energy level. Here was this small gray furry creature curled up quietly on his bed; he was slow to get up to come to the front of his kennel to say hello. This was just day two for Chip at the shelter, maybe he would behave more like a normal Schnauzer out on our walk. Just a note; I've been walking Freida McMinn (a typical high energy Miniature Schnauzer) quite often. I know high energy when I see it. As I got to the back of his kennel to put on the collar, he was hesitant but eventually came close enough for me to get him collared. We set off down the hall.

Our first stop was the exercise yard, after taking care of business I just let him wander. Fortunately he is sufficiently interested in treats that, after some encouragement, he sat on command and came to me on command. I got the feeling that these were things he remembered but had not done for a long time. Chip was fine on the leash but walked just like a normal small dog, he did not bounce along like a terrier. After about 20 minutes he turned around and wanted to go back; he preferred the area at the front of the shelter near the parking lot. I've now had this happen several times with new arrivals. I think they are looking for whoever left them at the shelter.

Once back in his kennel he settled in quietly. Chip is a sweet little dog who may still be very traumatized by his transition. At present he is certainly NOT high energy for a Miniature Schnauzer, medium level at best - I have no idea what his former owners were referring to. Let's hope he gets a nice forever family soon - and some grooming!

No comments:

Post a Comment