Thursday, June 16, 2011

Haley


It happens so often, but when you are at the shelter on busy noisy days you tend to notice the dogs who are being quiet. Haley was sitting at the back of her kennel watching everything going on around her; she was my first walking buddy of the day. Haley is a really cute Pomeranian/ Border collie mix, just about a year old and new to the shelter, this was just her fourth day. Being just a little beyond puppy hood, she was interested in everything , birds in the brush, holes, lizards, you name it. Unfortunately when we were at our furthest point out in the open desert, we came upon a fresh skeleton of a very large raccoon (tail intact). It was not until this time that I recalled Maryann's warning to be wary of cougars when doing my dog walking in Bend. I decided to continue walking and within about twenty yards, Haley just put her ears back and froze, this was enough for me. I don't know whether or not a cougar was lounging under one of the desert shrubs but we turned around and continued our walk much closer to the shelter. Haley gets my "Best Dog on a Leash" award; her first volunteer walk of the day and the leash remained slack throughout the walk!

No comments:

Post a Comment