Tuesday, December 17, 2013

King



Happily there were just a few dogs at the shelter, though King had already had one walk, one look at his smiling face (really) and he was going out with me for number two.  This was just his second full day at the shelter so he was in that very excited somewhat confused state that is typical for new arrivals.  King is a beautiful six year old German Short Haired Pointer, surrendered because his family did not have time to give him the exercise necessary to manage his energy.

He was up on his hind legs to meet me at his back door, but after just a couple of "backs" he backed away, then quieted nicely to get harnessed.   Once on our walk King acted every bit the hunting dog that he is, nose taking in everything, but surprisingly responsive to my voice telling him which way we were going. He does need more leash training, which he will be getting daily at the shelter. 

Once back in the exercise yard it was good to see that he comes when he is called (video).  As for sit, I think somewhere in his past "sit" meant "sit up" for treats. Every time I said "sit" he stopped what he was doing, focused on me, and made a half sit up, half jump.  If I get time to take him out again another day; I'll work on sit using his leash to keep him from "sit up/jump".

He is so sweet and affectionate, according to his profile, this applies to kids, other dogs, and cats; just an all around lovable guy.  I  tried to get a photo of him smiling, because he REALLY does it.  You have to see it to believe it.  He will make a wonderful family dog as long as he gets adequate exercise.



No comments:

Post a Comment