Sunday, June 30, 2013

Boston



Despite the heat Boston, an approximately 8 year old Chocolate Lab was ready for a walk.  Apparently he arrived at the shelter as a stray but no one has claimed him.  He was happily jumping around as I approached his back kennel door but quickly settled down for me to get him harnessed.  As we made our way through the dog area he seemed a bit afraid of the barking and was happy to stay close, me on one side, the wall on the other.  This behavior repeated  on our return.  Once outside the joy of going on a walk superseded everything else.  We started in the exercise yard, lots of sniffing but, surprisingly, not much interest in fetch.  I would try it again on our return.

Once on our walk, Boston got a B+ for leash walking, he's good but without a training harness, I think he would need some work.  It was such a hot day I opted to finish our outing in the exercise yard offering some shade.  Boston did much better with fetch, sit and come - for treats.  I get the feeling that he is still experiencing some stress from his untimely separation from what was likely a long standing home situation.  Let's hope he finds a new family to call his own soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment