Sunday, June 9, 2013

Bonzi



Bonzi was hard to miss.  He was doing everything possible to get noticed yet he was the only dog who had not yet had a volunteer walk.  He is a 4 year old Bichon Frise/ Coton de Tulear mix who was surrendered to the shelter because is owner developed allergies to him .   His breed is relatively new   and becoming very popular. Bonzi  was at his back door bouncing around to greet me but backed away from the door and settled down quickly when I told him to.   We started our outing in the exercise yard with Bonzi bouncing and sniffing.  He is very treat oriented so he sat promptly on command when a treat was eminent however he did not come when he was called.  The pending treat reward was too far away to be obvious and I was someone he had just met - not his bonded forever human friend that he had recently lost.  Like perhaps some of you, I had to look this breed up.  As I read about this breed they take relationships very seriously and really suffer separation anxiety when they lose their owner.  While he was sweet and polite with me, I was not someone that he was going to be at his best with.  

As we left the yard and continued our walk I noticed  that he lingered in shady spots but really hurried when we were on any sunny surface.  It soon became  clear that his feet are very sensitive; I picked him up, carried him to the shadier exercise yard and that is where we finished our outing.  Once again I attempted to get him to come when called but he wanted to do his own thing which was grazing.  I thought he looked so much like a little lamb I just had to get a video of it.  

According to his profile he likes other dogs (I saw evidence of this) as well as cats.  I was very happy to notice three adoption holds on his kennel on our return.  I'll bet he has a new best human friend by early in the week.  Let's hope so. 


No comments:

Post a Comment