Saturday, December 29, 2012

Minnie and Denny (lower square is a video)

















It is really encouraging pulling in to a nearly full shelter parking lot.  Inside, visitors were everywhere, lots of activity and holiday bustle abounded. I made my way back to the volunteer room to see which dogs still needed walks.  By early afternoon usually most of them have had a walk- not today.  Of the dogs requiring a more experienced walker (me) just one had been walked.  I saw from the board that Minnie and Denny were kennel mates so I figured I could save time by getting both of them out and perhaps have time for a third. I got permission from the staff to take two at a time as well as some help getting them harnessed, we were off.

Minnie and Denny  are Chihuahuas, three and five respectively with very different personalities.  Minnie is in continual motion!  She is so cute and squirmy that I completely panicked in the exercise yard when I saw that she had  wiggled right out of her harness.  Fortunately she is also a "carry me" dog, it always "pick me up time" for her, no harness no problem.She snuggles right in, for about 30 seconds, then is ready to rush off to a new adventure.  Denny, on the other hand, is a solid and sweet quiet little guy.  He stays near you just happy to get petted and talked to.  He and Minnie came in together so maybe their temperaments would be different if they were "only" dogs.   Since I was more concerned with getting the dogs out of their kennel than going over training issues, etc, I just let them wander around and enjoy themselves.  Not wanting to risk Minnie getting out of her harness, AGAIN, we ended our outing in a vacant get acquainted room, where I was able to capture a short video of the two cuties.  They are really nice little dogs, so let's hope that they find their new
home(s) very soon.



No comments:

Post a Comment