Sunday, December 9, 2012

Kelly (lower square is a video)







I wonder if I'm ever going to walk an ordinary dog.  Well it did not happen Saturday.  According to the chart in the volunteer room  everyone but Kelly had been out for a walk so my buddy decision was made for me.  I went to meet Kelly.  I do not like admitting this but when I saw the happy, eager little terrier, pit bull face looking up at me, I felt a little sad. Since pit bull mix adopters must be home owners, quite a few potential forever families will not be available for her.  It typically takes them considerably longer to get adopted.

Kelly was up on her hind legs to greet me but quieted down nicely to get ready for her walk. She was just full of energy but still was easy to keep close by as we made our way out.  The exercise yard was occupied and Kelly was clearly making "let's play" gestures toward the occupant, however this is against the rules.  Fortunately the yard became available quickly and this is my preferred way to begin an outing.  Kelly wasted no time sniffing, etc. but  went straight for a ball and made it clear that she wanted to play.  She is great at fetch and just as great at catching a ball or ring on the fly and promptly returning it to you.  Next I thought we would try some of the basics: sit, down, stay, come;  she aced them all!  This truly amazing medium/small dog is just eleven months old, very, very affectionate, and  so eager to please  that all she wants for a reward is affection and praise.  I had three different types of treats with me and she had no interest in them. 

After about 20 minutes of play, pets and hugs in the exercise yard we began our walk.  She is every bit as cooperative on the leash as by now, I expected she would be.  Kelly is the complete package,  so very sweet, smart and according to her profile, likes other dogs and cats. In her short first eleven months she has not only been very well educated, she has found time for motherhood (unplanned of course).  I just cannot imagine a sweeter pet, let's hope she finds her forever family soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment