Monday, July 23, 2012

Vivian



Even though the shelter was buzzing with visitor activity, it was hard to miss Vivian. Her happy, bouncy personality just draws you in. She had not yet had a volunteer walk so I went for large size walking supplies and told her I'd be back. She is officially considered a "hound mix" but she looks just like the photo I found of an English Coon Hound (left). Her kennel photo is pretty bad, let's hope they get a nicer one. When I returned she was in the front of her kennel greeting visitors but charged back when she saw me. She was so excited - many of you can guess what's coming -Vivian broke loose and dashed out of her kennel. I just crossed my fingers and hoped that she was obedient; she is. She went directly to the outer door, I told her to sit and stay, I got her collared and leashed, off we went!

A stop in the exercise yard to burn off energy was a must. Vivian raced around happily, thrilled to obey the come command. She likes the idea of fetch but gets it right just about one out of every three times. Once on our walk I expected extreme pulling but she was actually quite good. At one point I needed to do some leash adjusting and I made her sit and stay for several minutes; she needed prompts, but overall did very well. The day was warm and when Vivian began seeking shady spots for rests, I knew it was time to take her in. Once I got her back into her kennel, I took the time to read her profile - shock. Because she is so big, I just assumed she was an adult; she is a seven month old puppy! I am just amazed at how well behaved she is especially considering her current circumstances. She is going to make someone a wonderful pet, let's hope she finds that someone soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment