Sunday, July 15, 2012

Duke


As I signed in on a busy Saturday morning, I noticed that Duke, a beautiful Red Bone Coon Hound was still waiting to be adopted. When I got back to the dog area and saw that he had not yet had a walk, I knew who my walking buddy would be. Unfortunately Coon Hounds suffer from type casting. Many potential Central Oregon adopters picture them racing through a South Eastern forest baying with their buddies, on a serious hunt. I have to admit, I'm sometimes guilty of this same type casting. Whenever I walk a working breed I take two long leashes hooked together so that they have as much freedom as possible to do their sniffing/hunting behavior. Duke also had a note on his kennel to use a "no pull" harness. I gathered up equipment, doggie treats and all my prejudices and went off to meet Duke.

He was waiting for me at his back door, standing on his hind legs gazing happily into my eyes, he is big. The first thing I noticed is that he had no plastic collar to grab; however he took one whiff of the doggy treats in one pocket and my jerky snack in the other pocket and he sat so fast on command, he practically sat in his water dish. This was one obedient dog! I got his regular collar attached with his leash and we were off to the front desk for the "no pull" harness. They were busy so he had to wait; once again he quickly sat on command then flopped down onto the floor until the staff had time to get the special harness on him.

Our first outside stop was the exercise yard, he enjoyed some leisurely sniffing, had no interest in fetch, but was completely thrilled to come when I called him and sit for a treat. After a little while of this we started our walk; I was all ready for our mini hunt, I lashed the two leashes together, and started walking into the desert. Duke really did not want to go; he of course walked with me when I told him to, but his heart was not in it. He wanted to amble around the parking lot. He just loves trucks; he not only sniffs every inch of the tires, but puts his paws up on the doors so that he can see in the windows, etc. Being a Saturday, the parking area had lots of activity; at one point, a visitor dog broke away from his owner and came bounding over. I quickly leashed Duke in closely but he was so polite and gentle with the other dog, I had no need for concern. To finish out our walk I led him on to the grass surrounding the building, less chance of running into visitors. Duke was enjoying sniffing around in the shady shrubbery when I heard unmistakable kitty meowing. Two of the cutest tabby kittens were in the enclosure area that fronts onto the Shelter yard, they were less than ten feet away. The kittens were very interested in Duke. Duke, however behaved as though he was afraid of them and kept his distance. I think this is probably a very healthy behavior for a dog of his size who needs to be able to fit into a variety of family situations. Duke is a sweet gentle creature who will be happy in just about any situation, but wildly happy if it includes a truck.

No comments:

Post a Comment