Sunday, July 22, 2012

Rory


With visitors everywhere asking lots of questions - I seemed to be the only dog volunteer at the shelter at this time- Rory was easy to miss. He is a sweet little West Highland Terrier who was sitting quietly on his bed watching the goings on. I figured a gentle walk would be therapeutic for both of us so I went for a small collar and leash and told Rory I would be right back. After a quick sprint down the hall and out the door, we took care of the necessities; I thought a romp in the exercise yard would be a good way to start our outing. Rory thought not. Plan B, a fun walk up a gentle short path, very pretty, yet close to the shelter; Rory gave it a "paws down". Plan C, OK Rory, what do you want to do?

I quickly learned that this little guy is very people oriented, he wanted to sit near the entrance and meet people coming and going, sniff cars, stare longingly at people getting in or out of cars, attempt to join them, etc. He really wants to find a family of his own. According to his profile, he also likes dogs and cats, so he is not fussy. On our return I left plenty of time for him to greet all the visitors inside as well as the staff so, all in all, he had a good outing though a bit light in the exercise category.

Since I knew very little about Westies, I consulted Al and Google. They're strong willed - got it- and long lived, 15 or more years. This works well for Rory since he is seven.

No comments:

Post a Comment