Saturday, November 26, 2011

Dakota


I had just arrived at the shelter and was walking down the hall when I met a potential adopter/visitor coming in from a short outing with Dakota. Dakota (Dougy's brother) is a seven month old German Shepherd mix who out-weighs Dougy by about ten pounds, likely putting him at just over 80, a super sized puppy! I heard the visitor discussing with the staff that Dakota seemed pretty wild and he was wondering how he would get along with a dog already at home. I told him I was on my way back to the dog area if he needed any assistance and suggested that we take Dakota into one of the "get acquainted" rooms. Knowing that the volunteers work with getting the dogs socialized and trained, and, that Dakota has been at the shelter two weeks; I loaded up with a pocket full of doggy treats and hoped that Dakota would come through. He not only came through, he aced it. He sat, went down, shook hands, he looked like a pro, not a seven month old puppy. I asked the potential adopter if he wanted to step in but he said he just wanted to watch him perform. I soon left to find a walking buddy; I'm hoping that Dakota won him over.

No comments:

Post a Comment