Thursday, November 3, 2011

Alice


Since it was a cold and rainy day I thought, at just around noon, I would find lots of dogs who had not yet had a volunteer walk - not so. They all had been walked by volunteers, so I went through a second time and Alice caught my eye. Kathy W. had mentioned a few days ago that males seemed to out number females in the adoptables I write about, so Alice seemed like a good choice to even things out. She is a two year old lab/border collie mix and was up on her hind legs, wagging and jumping, ready to go.

As I opened her back door she bounced straight up and out. Once again here I am, leash and collar in hand, with Alice freely leaping around the back kennel area. If I were not a volunteer I know I would be fired. Strangely enough, Alice is as obedient as she is enthusiastic. I just stood still, told her to come and sit (she kind of half sat) then she put her head into the collar. We were off.

Once we started our walk, I was somewhat surprised that she is very good on the leash; though she is strong, she is not a puller. She is still a young dog and interested in everything, especially birds, but she stays connected with you and is quite responsive to voice and treats. She readily sits and shakes her paw on command, so although she was a stray, someone has obviously worked with her. Back at the shelter, she continued to be happy and obedient; I opened her back door and she returned to her kennel with no coaxing required. She is just a really sweet and obedient dog.

No comments:

Post a Comment