Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Elton




It was a cool, cloudy weekday afternoon and the dog area was just full of dogs, fortunately lots of potential adopters also. The shelter has accepted a group of dogs from a California shelter that has run out of space, so lots of the dogs are sharing kennels and they seem quite happy about it. Selecting a walking buddy was so difficult; I wound up going to Elton and Lala's kennel to see which one of them would pop out first. They are part of the very large group of dogs from CA. I was kind of hoping it would be Elton since he is the cutest dog I have ever seen. When I think of movies I've seen where they have cast a cute little mutt who seems to be made up of doggy spare parts - that's Elton.

Both Elton and Lala (kennel mate) were there to greet me at their back door but they were shy about letting me put on a leash. After a few minutes, Elton decided to brave it, so he was my walking buddy. Our first stop was the exercise yard where he retrieved a couple of balls then decided he really wanted to get going on a walk. He is very good on the leash bouncing along in typical terrier fashion, though his "look" is anything but typical. At every "get petted stop" his ears went down to maximize pets. He is so sweet. When we got back to the dog area in the shelter he was afraid of the loud barking but he became a relaxed happy little dog again as soon as I opened his kennel door and Lala was there to greet him. They were both much braver and stood together happily while I scratched their chins for several minutes. It was late so I did not have time to take Lala out, but both seemed content wagging and chewing Milk-bone treats.

No comments:

Post a Comment