Saturday, October 15, 2011

Diesel


After a careful look up and down each aisle, just one dog had not yet had a volunteer walk, though it was after 3:00 - Diesel, a 3 year old miniature poodle. As I put the "Out for a walk" tag on his kennel I noticed a short cord hanging in front but paid no attention. I opened Diesel's back kennel door, he went to the front away from me. After much coaxing, I gave up and went to get help from a staff person. She continued gentle coaxing, Diesel was not budging. Finally she quietly took the short cord, looped it around his rear, scooped him up and that is what took to get him leashed and collared. He seemed afraid of everyone. Fortunately I had selected a very long leash so he was able to walk staying far away from me. At one point early in our walk I reached down to give him a pet, he had been looking the other way and he jumped straight up in the air he was so startled and scared. I felt the same level of connection that I would probably feel if I were walking a squirrel. As our walk continued he seemed to respond just a little to my voice but I was not about to touch him again. After about 20 minutes I noticed that he started to change directions when I did without a cue from the leash. I also noticed that he did no marking, or anything else, throughout the walk.

As we neared the shelter, I took him into the exercise yard and let go of his leash for a little free movement. I walked over to the bench, sat down, turned around and there he was right beside me. This seemed really strange so I walked to the opposite side of the exercise yard; he followed me. After a few minutes I walked to the gate and called him, he came bounding over; I picked up his leash and we returned to the shelter. When I put him in his kennel he had no problem at all with my removing his collar and leash and petting him. By the time I got to the front of his kennel to change his tag he was jumping up and down wagging and licking through the wire - he was a completely different dog after just a half an hour of one on one attention and affection. I finally read his profile, this was just his second day at the shelter, he was brought in since his owner could no longer care for him. I also noticed that his food looked like it had not been touched; I do not know whether dogs experience separation trauma the way people do but Diesel is surely going through something and is so ready to bond with a new person. I really hope he finds his person soon, he is such a sensitive and sweet little guy.

Let's also hope that the shelter gets a better photo of him.

No comments:

Post a Comment