Thursday, October 27, 2011

Buddy


At 11:30 most of the dogs had not yet had volunteer walks and, since lately I've been walking mostly smaller dogs, I selected Buddy as my buddy. Buddy is an eight year old Blue Heeler who was quietly wagging and sniffing through the front of his kennel to encourage my decision. As I went to his back door to put on his collar, he shoved his way into the collar and I realized how strong he was. Our first stop was the exercise yard; I let go of Buddy's leash, he spotted one of the shelter staff on the other side of the fence and went over to visit him. Visiting someone he knew was much more important to him than fetching toys or running around the yard. He has been at the shelter just a little over a week and he has already bonded with the staff.

We started our walk down the dirt road out into the desert and, knowing his strength, I wondered if I would have to wrap his leash to prevent him from pulling. I was about to be amazed. At first I thought he must have picked up something in his paw because he was not walking in front of me like dogs usually do; his nose was just about ten inches and slightly behind my left knee. When I stopped examined his feet and petted him, he wandered a little sniffing the weeds, etc, but as soon as I started walking again he went back to his position ten inches slightly behind my left knee. I walked faster, he stayed in position, slower, the same; we were joined at the knee. I held the leash in a short relaxed loop behind my back, for my comfort and shelter rules, since Buddy's internal leash was far superior to any piece of cord. I have never experienced a dog heel with the precision that Buddy did. When I stopped to pet him and let him know that it was break time, he wandered and sniffed like a normal dog, but as soon as we continued walking, Buddy reverted to precision heeling. At one point we came upon a narrow path (just room for one of us), so Buddy took a new position ten inches behind my left knee. During our walk, Al called; I did not declare a break to Buddy so he stayed in position and just whined a little when the conversation went too long. What a dog!

As far as other obedience, Buddy does sit on command but only if a treat is apparent. His future forever person will need to give him some refreshers in this area.

No comments:

Post a Comment