Saturday, May 7, 2011

Tanner


Just when you think you're beginning to be able to predict some breed behaviors, you encounter a dog like Tanner. Tanner is about 99+% Red Bone Coon Hound, so I expected "a dog on a mission". I have found that the hunting breeds (dogs-on-missions) I've walked are often so driven by scent or sight that their DNA just takes over when they get to go for a walk. I use the shelter-recommended leash wrap around to make them easier to manage since most of them are large dogs. None of this was true of Tanner.

Tanner politely waited for me to put on his collar, no jumping around. While we were still in the dog area (lots of barking) a little boy and his Mom wanted to pet Tanner; even though this was going to be his first walk of the day, he still sat on command while the little boy petted him. He waited patiently for me to open each door, no pulling; I did not need to use a wrap around leash on him. Early in our walk, two large crows flew over us and Tanner absolutely flattened on the ground, he was really afraid of them. Since I like to let the dog set the walk agenda, we stayed under trees and near fences probably because of Tanner's fear of birds. Tanner is a little odd for a coon hound but a wonderful dog.

No comments:

Post a Comment