Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Callahan


Callahan

I met Callahan during spring break, a very busy and noisy time at the Humane Society. I was looking around the dog area to select my walking buddy and I glanced into a kennel that seemed empty, but had a purple tag (signifies a dog up for adoption and eligible for walks by a volunteer). Callahan, a three year old lasa, was reclining peacefully on his bed observing me. I think he was the only quiet dog at the shelter that day. As soon as he saw me come back toward his kennel with a collar, leash and “I’m-out-for-a-walk” tag, he immediately jumped out of bed, went to his exit door and waited for me to get there. I could tell very quickly that he was very smart, intuitive and of course cute. We had gone about 100 yards from the shelter when a car pulled up with two very large non shelter dogs; their owner just let them loose out of the car; they took one look at us and were headed our way. I shouted to the owner to restrain them and reached down to pick up Callahan; he was already en route up into my arms; one very smart dog! He is definitely a sweetie; I think he will likely find his forever home very soon. The rest of our walk was calm and fun, Callahan was not at all afraid back at the shelter though all the dogs were barking, I guess he knew they were in their kennels and not going to come after him.

No comments:

Post a Comment