Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Rocket


Rocket, a cute as can be  lab cattle dog mix had already been out for several walks, but with just a few dogs on hand, he was going out again with me.  At around a year old he is still very much a puppy with lots of energy.  His herding behavior was not appreciated by the family's cat who obviously had seniority over Rocket.  Fast forward, Rocket is now at the shelter interviewing new families.

Rocket was up on his hind legs to greet me, but,on my command backed away immediately  for me to enter his kennel.   He was all squirms and happiness as we got acquainted  but quickly decided he did not want harnessed; he just wanted to play with it. Using a hot dog treat as a diversion, I eventually got him harnessed.

Our first stop was the exercise yard.  Cattle dogs are so smart!  He's just a year old, in stressful conditions, does not know me and he is nearly perfect at sit, down and heel.  Perhaps the "heel" is just his breed;  he would not leave my side long enough for me to even try the "come" command.  When it was time for us to begin our walk, the harness game began again.   I finally just stood at the gate, told him I was leaving without him, he got it; end of harness game, treat forthcoming.

He was just wonderful on the leash, no pulling at all. Back at the shelter he was easy to get unharnessed and settled back into his kennel.  He is such a nice dog.  Let's hope he finds a family that appreciates him soon.







No comments:

Post a Comment