Sunday, February 10, 2013

Zeus (video at bottom)

The dog log in the volunteer room noted that Zeus was likely to be shy and timid so, before I met him, I wondered if I might need staff assistance to get him harnessed.  I knew nothing more, so off I went to meet him.  I looked through his back door to see this wildly happy little guy squirming, wagging and eager to meet me.  Zeus is a one year Chihuahua mix, but already cooperative enough to move back when I told him to.  I managed to get him harnessed while receiving lots of kisses.   This was his day 4 or 5 at the shelter  and his shyness is clearly history!

We  began our walk in the yard around the building; everything was wonderfully exciting for Zeus.  He found sticks to pick up and trot around with, grass to flop in, and lots of great things to sniff.  We next went for the exercise yard.  Zeus found it a very fun place to go racing around.  Though all of the balls there were much too big for him, he still enjoyed chasing them.  He is so people oriented, he loved coming flying at me when I called him and got especially excited when I "attempted" to  take a phone video. On our return to the shelter we met two volunteers who had walked him earlier in the week; he remembered them greeting them with jumps and kisses.

In addition to being a very affectionate little dog, he has some behaviors that I've seen mostly in larger dogs.  He quietly leans against you for pets, he rolls onto his back for belly rubs, "attempts' to play fetch, and he just seems calmer than some of the other small dogs I've walked.  I think he will make the perfect pet for his future owner.

I promise to learn how to do videos without using You-tube, in the interim please ignore the weird stuff they have tacked on at the end. 








No comments:

Post a Comment