Saturday, January 19, 2013

Sis, a Short Happy Story



The volunteer notes on Sis indicated that she was quite timid and recommended to include one-on-one time to build her trust and confidence.  As I started back to her kennel I wondered if I might have to ask a staff person to assist me in getting her out.  Sis is a three year old tricolored hound, very pretty.  As I arrived at her back door I did my first double take; Sis was up on her hind legs wagging and wiggling.  She retreated quickly as I entered her kennel but came back  to me when I held out my hand to I got her harnessed.

In the exercise yard she began her sniffing circuit, fairly predictable for a hound.  I sat on the bench  to see if she would take the initiative to come to me for some one-on-one time but she was too occupied with sniffing.  I began walking while talking to her. At one point I called her from a distant corner and she came bounding to me, eager for pets (video, sorry for the weird stuff at the end, I recorded it upside down and needed YouTube to edit it - live and learn!). After a few minutes it seemed like a good time to start our walk.

At first she was very focussed on new smells but after just a short time she began turning around and making eye contact with me every few minutes.  I've sometimes walked hounds who have never gotten to this level of connection with me.  On our return  as Sis and I walked along the sidewalk next to the parking lot we met a couple just getting out of their car - Sis's future family!  They had met her earlier and were returning to finalize the adoption.  Sis will be living on a 10 acre property with two great people who already think she is the best.  In my opinion, the volunteers had a big influence on this adoption.  I remember seeing her initial website photo; a very timid dog cowering in a corner;  her profile affirmed that picture.  The dog adopted today is affectionate,beautiful, confidant, and responsive.  I know she will make a wonderful companion.

No comments:

Post a Comment