Thursday, April 26, 2012

Benji


The first dog I came upon who had not yet been on a volunteer walk was unbelievably cute. Benji, a year and a half Lhasa Apso would be my walking pal number one. Since this was his first full day at the shelter, he was quite timid and the sounds of the other dogs scared him. I did get him collared and leashed and he was very happy to leave the dog area to get out in the hall. He went into a full gallop and looked just like a fast moving furry slipper.

Our first stop was the exercise yard, but I think Benji was still a little too stressed for obedience tasks. Once we were on our walk, he seemed to calm down and go into the Lhasa "bounce" sniffing around in normal doggy fashion. We had a good walk, he was happy to go wherever I took him. Things remained fine all the way back to the shelter however as we approached the dog area inside, Benji rebelled. He was not going in there to be scared again. I had to carry him to his kennel. I checked on him before leaving and he seemed to be calmer and making the best of it. Let's hope this little guy finds his new family soon, I know he will make such a fun little friend.

No comments:

Post a Comment