Thursday, April 26, 2012

Andy


Andy had been on one walk already, but so had everyone else and his lovely brown eyes looked in need of some human comfort. Andy is a beautiful four year old Pomeranian experiencing his first full day at the shelter - and he was scared. He was hesitant about coming to me as I opened his back door to get him ready for a walk, but after some gentle words he decided I was OK. Though I've never been around a Pom, I've enjoyed seeing them in shows and wondered if their strut is the result of a great handler - it is not. Andy strutted down the hall like he was at the Westminster!

Once outside, like so many new arrivals, he was very interested in the parking lot. I was eventually able to get him walking on the surrounding paths and, while he did some normal doggy sniffing, his main concern was to stay in close contact with me. Every few feet he stopped and turned around making eye contact just as a good herd dog would do. It is clear that he has been very close to people and was going to make sure I stayed in sight.

I took him into the exercise yard and was not surprised that he was great with "come", no treats needed, but was too stressed for other commands. Let's hope he finds a new family soon because he is really a people guy. According to his profile he has done fine with other dogs and cats so he should fit into lots of situations.

Other news:
The Shelter is having a $20 Microchip Clinic this Saturday so if you have considered it for your pet, this could be a good opportunity. I've heard that it is more expensive if you have it done privately, plus, if you come between 12 and 2, you can say Hi to Al and I.

No comments:

Post a Comment