Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Cleo


It is normal to hear lots of barking and sometimes howling but this was a soft whimpery whine; I looked down to see this odd looking little dog (Chihuahua mix) standing up on her hind legs happy for me to notice her. She was the only dog who had not yet had a volunteer walk, so I went to find a small collar to get Cleo ready go. At her back door the dance began, one step forward for me, two steps back for Cleo, etc. I think I know why she had not yet had a walk! After several minutes of coaxing and scratching under her chin, I managed to get the collar on and we were off.

Once we were outside, she noticed people in the parking lot and she wanted to watch them. I decided to just let her walk wherever she chose, so we started in the yard area in front of the shelter. She seemed comfortable sitting and watching people going to and from the shelter but did not attempt to approach them. After awhile I took her into the exercise yard to see how she would react to being allowed to wander freely. She walked completely around the perimeter and then ended at the gate wanting out. As we left this area she wanted to go back where she could continue people watching.

In an attempt to get a better idea of what was going on with this little dog, at the end of our "walk" I took her into one of the private get-acquainted rooms. She did the same circumnavigation including standing up on her hind legs to see how high up the wall she could go, interspersed with sitting at my feet enjoying being petted but trembling all the while.
When I attempted to return her to her kennel she absolutely refused, I had to pick her up and carry her in.

She came to the shelter as a stray and I'll bet she has been living on her own for quite awhile. She is sweet and very interested in people but I think her behavior is more like a cat than a dog. As she becomes more accustomed to staff and volunteers interacting with her I'm sure she will become more confident, but for now she seems pretty confused.

No comments:

Post a Comment