Thursday, July 14, 2011

Neeko


When I got to the shelter today, most of the dogs were already out on walks. This left me to confront my prejudice about pit bulls, it was Neeko or no one! With leash, choke collar and trepidation I went around to the back of Neeko's kennel to get him ready to go. He exploded out of his kennel jumping straight up with joy and kisses. He is very strong; this resulted in Neeko getting loose in the back dog area with the other dogs barking loudly - potential shelter mayhem. I stood there with the leash and collar in hand and told him to sit; he came to my side, quivered with excitement and sat. I got him leashed and ready for his walk. He pulled a little at first when we were near the shelter and he saw other dogs, but as soon as we got out into the open area, he was just perfect, walking with a nearly slack leash. On our way back, the exercise area was free so I took him in for some fetch. It took him a just a few tries to begin to get the connection between dropping the ball near me and lots of pets and praise. When I sat down in a chair in the exercise area, he just wanted to be close. As I returned him to his kennel, I finally read his profile; he is an eight month old puppy! I have never encountered such a smart responsive puppy, he is just amazing.

When I got home, I read more about this breed, American Stafford-shire Terrier and he seems fairly typical. They are very smart and so affectionate that they apparently make dreadful guard dogs. They would lick a burglar into submission. Once again, the dogs continue to surprise me in such a good way.

No comments:

Post a Comment