Thursday, July 28, 2011

Elroy


Lots of potential adopters at the shelter Thursday, but not as many volunteers; it was a hot day. Elroy had not yet had a volunteer walk so he was my walking buddy. Elroy is a 6 year old, very large and strong retriever/lab mix. He is fairly laid back but as soon as he saw me put the "walk" tag on his kennel, he wagged happily. However, when I got around to the back gate to collar him, he was busy receiving pets from two little girls in the front of his kennel. He left his two young fans, came to his back gate for his collar and leash, and we were off. Our first stop was the exercise area but, although he looks more like a lab (color and short coat), he had little if any interest in retrieving balls, so we started our walk. He was very co-operative and walked well on a leash despite the fact that this was his first walk of the day by a volunteer. I typically let the dog decide where we walk, but Elroy was happy to go wherever I chose, sniffing some of the interesting shrubs; but for the most part, tracking pretty straight in front of me yet not pulling. He is so strong, yet I did not have to use an anti-pull harness with him.

As he was trotting along in front of me, I remembered my long-ago Old English Sheep Dog, Mandy and how well she pulled me on cross country skis. I think Elroy with his combination of strength, desire to obey ( he sits plus goes down on command, and walks happily wherever you choose) would be that kind of pal. On our way back I stopped at the exercise yard for Elroy to get a drink from the kiddie pool, you guessed it! He took one quick drink then laid down in the pool. He just loves being in the water. Once back in the shelter he greeted visitors with a happy head leaning on them and big tail flopping back and forth. I also noticed how bonded he is with the staff in just the few days (5) since his intake. He is clearly a very people oriented and obedient, water-loving dog. Let's hope someone who really loves the water finds Elroy.

No comments:

Post a Comment