Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Petrie


The Humane Society was unusually quiet today. As I was walking by each kennel to see who needed a walk; there was Petrie, huge chihuahua eyes and a pleading whimper that convinced me he would be my first buddy today. When I'm doing doggy walks, I let the dog the set the agenda. I figure that they do not yet have their own person, so I try to give them whatever they want for a walk. Petrie made his agenda known. Though he was wildly excited to begin his walk, as soon as we got outside he made it clear that he wanted to be picked up and carried for a little while, standing up on his hind feet then contentedly settling into my arms for a few minutes. I saw that the exercise area was vacant so I took him in there to play and burn off some energy before our WALK actually got started. Petrie just loved it, racing around chasing balls and toys. He is supposedly a chihuahua miniature pinscher mix but he sure seems to have some greyhound in him; he is fast. Suddenly he came to a stop and ran to the gate, he had spotted some of the Humane Society staff having a break outside and he wanted to go see them.

After a short visit, we continued our walk interrupted only by his desire to connect with the few people we encountered. Backing up a bit, once he burned off some of his almost boundless energy chasing balls, he was actually quite good on the leash. When we got back to the shelter, he was surprisingly eager to go in the front door; he wanted to visit the staff at the front desk. In the nearly six weeks I've been volunteering, this is the most "people oriented" dog I've encountered. He just loves people, especially the Humane Society staff.

No comments:

Post a Comment