Sunday, February 2, 2014

Say Hello and Welcome Home to Fifi

It's amazing, when I started volunteering here about three years ago I believed all the negative urban myths about Pit Bulls.  The Pit Bulls we volunteers encounter are nearly all like Fifi - total love bugs.  A little  history here, before unscrupulous people did some terrible things to this wonderful breed, they were referred to as Nanny Dogs because of their gentle and devoted behaviors around children.  Fifi is about 8 months, her sweet expressive face says it all.  I've noticed her for several weeks but this was my first chance to take her out.  As soon as I entered her kennel she was beside me, snuggling and cuddling. Getting her harnessed was so easy.  She had already been out for several walks so I opted for  some obedience drills in the exercise yard.  She was great at sit, come and heel, fetch is not her thing; considering she is still a puppy, very impressive.  Now  to the lack of a video...

After I returned Fifi to her kennel I went out to the car and thought I'd clear off some of the excess photos on my phone before continuing Bend errands.  Major oops;  I deleted all Fifi's videos, my heart sank!  Pit Bulls need all the help they can get,  to be adopted (adopters must prove home ownership) and Fifi had already been at the shelter for nearly a month.  It was late in the day, I did not have time to get a new series of videos.  I was feeling pretty glum going about my Bend errands when I spotted a Verizon store, maybe the videos were still on my phone - hiding.  I told the Verizon  rep the situation, he tried his best; he thought Fifi was adorable when he managed to recover one photo. Coincidentally, he had an equally lovable Pit Bull at home who is identical to her but a little older. As I left the store he asked which shelter  was Fifi's current home.  I would go back to the shelter the next day and get some cute videos of Fifi.

Next morning:
As I checked into the shelter, the staff told me that Fifi had just been adopted.  No specifics of course since that is confidential but..... her new family includes an equally lovable Pit Bull who is identical to her but is a little older.  Don't you just love fate!

No comments:

Post a Comment