Sunday, November 3, 2013

Say Hello and Happy Homecoming to Molly



At just before 3:00 PM all of the dogs had been out with volunteers at least once. Molly, with a rap sheet as long as your arm, seemed the obvious choice.  A seven month Old English Sheepdog (OES) puppy with training issues - mouthy (translation, she considers you the best chew toy EVER), needs LOTS of work with the leash, and jumping up on you, well what would you expect.  It's not that I go looking for trouble, but quite a few years ago I had a wonderful OES, Mandy; she stayed very much a puppy till age two; and she never had to endure the stressful conditions that Molly is now living in.  I had a pretty good idea of what to expect.

First surprise,  though up on her hind legs to greet me she backed up and stayed away from the door when I said "back"and she held very still while getting harnessed.  Once outside our first stop was the exercise yard.  Bad idea.  She was so excited that as soon as I attempted to undo her harness, the mouthiness began.  I thought the distractions of a walk would be a better idea, so off we went.

Molly darts here and there, getting herself tangled in the leash predictably and as I reach down to untangle her, the mouthiness begins.  Just a loud "No", scared her into stopping  but did not really solve the problem.  On the next untangling, I put my hands down on her harness, as soon as she attempted the chew  toy game, I tucked my hands away, became a statue, shortened her leash so that she had no choice but to become a statue also, and, after just two times, she got it.  She had to stop the chew toy game or no more walk.  Just love the intelligence of this breed.

Our second stop in the exercise yard was more productive.  Molly is very good at fetch, including dropping the ball in front of you with no need for a treat.  She is also good at sit but has not mastered down.  She would not go far enough away from me to try the come command.  She is pretty amazing for a seven month old pup in her circumstances.  As I was putting her through obedience drills I looked up to see a couple watching us, who were interested in adopting her.  As I walked Molly back toward the shelter I was not surprised when a staff person told me that someone was completing adoption papers on Molly.  However I was surprised that it was not the couple I'd met outside.  Let's hope Molly's new owner takes the time to develop her into the wonderful friend she can become.







No comments:

Post a Comment