Sunday, September 1, 2013

Grover


At 3:00 all of my category of dogs had been out for at least one volunteer walk, but Grover's had been quite early.  I took one look at this sweet guy and my decision was easy.  He is a huge ten month old Mastiff puppy, making the best of his current confined circumstances.  He met me nearly eye to eye at his back door.  Despite the normal exuberance and energy of puppies I was happily surprised that  he  managed to back away and sit for me to get him harnessed, once I entered his kennel.  He was not bothered by the cacophony of barks as we left the kennel area and headed down the hall and out the door.  According to his profile he is fine with other dogs and cats.

We stopped first in the exercise yard for some serious energy burn off.  Grover loved racing around, I planned to do obedience practice after our walk, not before.  As the day was warm, Grover ended his workout with a dip in the pool.
 Harnessed up again we began our walk.  Grover is one of those dogs who clearly listens to you and wants to obey.  He is very good on the leash, to change direction all I had to do was say "this way Grover", no need for me to tug on the leash.  We walked for about 20 minutes then returned to the exercise yard for another romp and some obedience basics.  Grover comes when he is called,  sits on command and is very close to doing fetch.  He is not that interested in treats; he just wants to please you.  I would be impressed with most dogs who behaved like Grover but to find this in a ten month old puppy in an extremely stressful situation given his size and age - amazing.  Let's hope some very lucky family finds him soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment