Friday, August 9, 2013

Brandi



At 1:00 just Brandi had not yet had a volunteer walk, her notes said she could be shy but loved hot dogs. With a pocket full of hot dogs I and headed for kennel number eight. I got there and looked down to see a gorgeous red Miniature Dachshund happily squirming and not at all timid.    The volunteers have obviously done a great job of bringing her out of her shell.  I typically give every dog the opportunity to walk on the leash out of their kennel, through the enclosures, etc. But, most of the time, the small dogs are afraid of all the surrounding barking so I usually pick them up quickly and carry them out of the noisy kennel area.  Brandi was absolutely unafraid of the barking.  She calmly trotted along beside me with, at most, a haughty glance at some of her noisier tenants. I was not surprised by this behavior since, I had the privilege of being owned by a Dachshund from the time I was 10 through 24. 

We began our outing in the exercise yard, Brandi enjoyed sniffing and barking at other dogs passing by.  I tried a few commands with her but she was more interested in sniffing and still getting used to me.  When she sat at the gate I knew she was telling me it was time to begin our walk.  She is wonderful on the leash,  just happy to trot beside me and enjoy all the new smells. 

By our return stop at the exercise yard, I had passed her friend test.  She came when I called her, walked beside me on command, as well as ran beside me on command.  She did all of these commands freely without treats.  She is such a wonderful little dog and is going to make someone such a great friend.


No comments:

Post a Comment