Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Roger


Shelter puppies always surprise me.  Unlike most of the adult dogs, who, except for being in a highly stressful environment, behave like  our pets.  The puppies however, are very different than the typical bouncy playful puppies that I've been around in other situations.  Roger is no exception.  At around 1:00, I saw that he had not yet had an outing - at just 10 weeks he has to stay inside, so his outings are limited to play rooms.  I gathered him up from his very spacious, even luxurious kennel and carried him into the play area.  As soon as I sat him on the floor he piddled what seemed like a gallon!  My first thought was, Oh no! House breaking is the number one reason most people are hesitant about adopting puppies.  He then happily crawled onto my lap and that is where he stayed snuggling as close as possible for 30 minutes of our 40 minute visit.  The shelter puppies are utterly desperate for human love and contact.  All of us who have or have had pets know how much they love us, but it is so intense with these puppies.  It is like, as their temporary human, you are just everything to them.

Back to the housebreaking issue, I had plenty of time to think about Roger and it soon came to me that at just 10 weeks old he was well on his way to already being housebroken.  His "house" is his kennel, his "outside" is the playroom.  He had been holding in an enormous amount of fluid for such a young puppy, way to go Roger!

After about 30 minutes of cuddling and some coaxing with little bits of a tasty treat, I finally got Roger to explore the room.  He seemed to enjoy himself but I know if we had been in a larger space he would have been sticking close by.   When it was time to take him back to his kennel, I expected him to be somewhat clingy - another surprise.  Roger was quite happy to be in his familiar kennel and, after a lengthy drink, trotted off to see if all of his toys were still there.    As you can see he is a good looking pup, a lab with some bull terrier mixed in.  I think he will make a wonderful pet, he is so lovable and, considering his circumstances, is making the best of it.




No comments:

Post a Comment