Saturday, June 16, 2012

Geronimo



Geronimo was the other dog who, at just after one, had not yet had a volunteer walk. A cute one year old Chihuahua mix with big hazel eyes and a little tan wiggly body; I was kind of surprised that he had not yet been out with a volunteer. As I opened his back door he was squirming all over with happiness but backed away when I approached him. After a few tries, I put a treat in one hand and petting him with the other, managed to loop my finger under his plastic ID collar eventually getting his walking collar and leash attached. Though shy, he is so sweet he just kept wagging in a crouched position, scared but still cooperating.

We started in the exercise yard and, except for a potty stop, he did not seem to want to there. Ball chasing and toys were just not his thing, getting petted and talked to are what he loves. We had several paws up for pets stops early in our walk. As we continued, he seemed to gain confidence, putting up his ears and prancing along. When we came within sight of other dogs, he showed interest, not fear. After about a half an hour, he seemed to want to find shady spots for little rests. The day was warm, but he is such a young dog, I was a little surprised. On our return I read his profile more carefully and it says that he is quite the couch potato. My best guess is that, though young, he was with someone who was unable to give him exercise and that he is just out of shape. Let's hope he finds his forever person to get him back in shape and let him know he is really home.

No comments:

Post a Comment